GPIA Student Handbook

The Julien J. Studley Graduate Program in International Affairs

Student Handbook

2014 – 2015















This Handbook serves as a guide to the basic information and procedures for the Graduate Program in International Affairs (GPIA).  Some of the information herein is compiled from other sources. The Handbook is intended for the convenience of GPIA students and advisors. Students should refer to this handbook first to see if their questions are answered.  For further information students should contact the International Affairs office (see GPIA Office), their academic advisor, or the respective university office or program.

This Handbook does not replace other official sources and students should refer to them for relevant details. See especially The New School Student Handbook (pdf) and The New School Registration Information and Procedures Guide for the relevant semester. Information in the Handbook is subject to change.  The GPIA appreciates suggestions for future versions.



Degree Requirements

The Program in International Affairs offers two degrees with different requirements.  For the Master of Arts (MA) in International Affairs, students must complete an approved program of study consisting of a minimum of 42 credits.  For the Master of Science (MS) in International Affairs, students must complete an approved program of study consisting of a minimum of 30 credits. To be considered for MS candidacy students must have at least five years relevant experience in international affairs as determined by the program.

(See Courses for information on required courses and concentrations.)

Full and Part-Time Status

Part-time status is six credits or fewer per semester.   Full-time status is nine credits or more per semester. Both the MA and MS programs may be taken on full- or part-time basis.  Financial aid consideration is given to students who carry a minimum of 6 credits per semester.  See also International Students below.

Time Limitations

GPIA students must complete their degree within five years of the date of matriculation.  Transfer credit must be based on graduate work completed within the five-year period immediately preceding matriculation.  (See Transferring Credit)

Academic Standing

All matriculated students must earn a 3.0 term and cumulative GPA to remain in good academic standing. Academic progress of graduate students is reviewed every semester.  To earn a Master’s Degree, a student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (a grade of “B”) or higher.

Academic Probation

Students with lower than a 3.0 term GPA or cumulative GPA will be placed on academic probation. Students who are on probation for two consecutive semesters will be subject to dismissal (see Administrative Withdrawal). Students who do not complete one half of accumulated attempted credits after two consecutive semesters in the program will be subject to probation and might not be allowed to register for more courses or equivalency in the following semester.

Academic Honesty and Plagiarism

Plagiarism is the unattributed use of material from any source and is not allowed.  A student who plagiarizes an assignment will receive a failing grade on that assignment or a failing grade for the course, at the instructor’s discretion, and the Dean’s office will be notified.  The instructor may also ask the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs to convene the academic standards committee to consider additional penalties, including dismissal from the university.  Details on the procedure are available in The New School’s rules and regulations.  Plagiarism on a master’s thesis is grounds for dismissal.

All students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the rules and regulations concerning academic honesty.  See the Student Code of Conduct.

Attendance Policy

Students are expected to attend classes regularly and on time. Students should refer to course syllabi for information about attendance expectations and requirements, or consult their instructors for clarification.

International Students

If a student is in the U.S.A. in F-1 Student or J-1 Visitor status, the student must be enrolled full-time for each fall and spring semester. (If students are taking online classes please note: to meet the minimum full-time enrollment requirement, a student cannot take more than one class or three credits online per semester.)  U.S. government regulations do recognize some situations in which an F-1 or J-1 may lawfully enroll for a reduced course load.  (For example, the student may have a medical condition, or the student may need less than a full course load to complete the course of study.)  However, in all cases in which F-1 or J-1 international students enroll less than full-time, written authorization must be obtained from International Student Services within the first two weeks of the semester.  Students who are considering enrolling less than full-time should make an appointment with an International Student Services advisor well in advance so that they may obtain authorization without delay.

Note: International students in B-2 Tourist or F-2 Student Dependent statuses are NOT permitted to be enrolled full-time.  These students must be enrolled for 8 credits or fewer each semester.  For further information students should contact International Student Services.

Very Important Note: All international students are individually responsible for remaining up-to-date on all compliance issues for staying in visa status. Please check the International Student Services Website on a regular basis.  For further information, contact International Student Services at (212) 229-5592 or [email protected].  ISS is located at 2 West 13th Street, 12th floor, room 1203.

Non-Degree Students

Students approved for non-degree status may enroll for up to nine credits (three courses) within the International Affairs program on a space-available basis.  (In order to take more than three courses, students must apply and be admitted to the M.A. program.)  All International Affairs courses taken in non-degree status are charged at current graduate tuition rates and earn graduate credit.

For students who apply and are accepted into master’s degree status in a subsequent semester, that credit will be applicable toward the International Affairs degree requirements.  Both new and continuing non-degree students must make appointments with the designated non-degree student advisor, ordinarily the GPIA Assistant Director.

Non-degree students who wish to be considered for GPIA admission must complete their admissions applications by the application deadlines set by the admissions office, usually October 15 for Spring and January 15 for Fall (check the admissions website for updated information).  Non-degree students should inform the Admissions Office of their intent to apply so that their admissions applications can be updated.  Please call or visit the Admissions Office, 72 5th Ave/3rd Fl, (212) 229-5630.

B.A./M.A. Students

New School Bachelor’s Program and Eugene Lang College students who have completed 60 credits or more may apply for B.A./M.A. status.  Students admitted to B.A./M.A. status may take up to 12 “swing” credits (4 courses) of International Affairs coursework to apply towards their Bachelor’s degree.

Upon successful completion of the undergraduate degree and acceptance into the International Affairs Program as an M.A. student in a subsequent semester, the 12 swing credits will be applied to the International Affairs degree.  The student must provide their official University transcript to the GPIA Assistant Director so this credit transfer can be made.  All International Affairs courses taken under B.A./M.A. status are charged at current undergraduate tuition rates.  Applications for M.A. status from B.A./M.A. students follow the standard application procedures for new M.A. students.  Interested students can obtain B.A./M.A. applications in their respective degree program offices.



All entering students are assigned an academic advisor for the purpose of course selection and academic development. Students are encouraged to meet with their advisors at least once before each semester to plan their curriculum. Students may also change their advisor for any reason by completing the Change of Advisor form, located at the GPIA office.

Advisors hold regular office hours and are available to meet with students throughout the academic year as well, although registration only takes place during the formal registration periods (see section on Registration). Students are encouraged to meet with other faculty and administrators as well.  Your advisor is the first and best contact for questions about program requirements, general advice and resources available to students.



The GPIA works closely with the Career Development and Placement Office to assist students in developing career management and job search skills and to provide students with a clearinghouse for jobs, internships and fellowships.  GPIA faculty are also a resource for career advice in areas of their expertise.

Resources and Services

The Career Development and Placement Office provides a full array of individualized career services and personal attention to students and alumni of its degree programs.

In addition to individual advisement on career direction and preparation, the Career Development office provides you with intensive experiential workshops including:

  • A two-part, 5-hour, résumé development “boot camp” that helps you to identify and articulate your marketable skills and “value proposition” that differentiates you from competitors, and to craft a targeted, accomplishment-based marketing document.
  • A hands-on job search correspondence workshop on how to write to prospective employers at every stage of your search, as well as choose and present your references.
  • A Job Search Strategy Marathon Day that starts with writing your ideal job profile and outside critiques of your oral introductions, and prepares you to develop a self-marketing plan, obtain and practice advice interviews, build relationships that lead to introductions and referrals for jobs and internships, practice answering interview questions, and evaluate and negotiate job offers.
  • Videotaped and critiqued practice interviews.
  • A career change workshop addressing changing functions, industries, and/or sectors.
  • A workshop on overcoming age discrimination in job search both by improving presentation and by targeting receptive segments of the market.
  • Workshops on working a job fair and interviewing over a meal.

Individual advisement is designed to work with you to make informed, thoughtful decisions about your career direction and job/internship choice. Career Development staff will work with you to ensure you are considering all sides of a decision, and provide a sounding board for your questions, all in confidence. Such a highly personalized level of service will increase your level of confidence in the career decisions you alone will make.

This level of preparation and execution helps you to create more opportunities to choose from vs. using passive or less sophisticated job search methods, enabling you to fulfill your professional goals of career advancement and professional contribution to your field of endeavor throughout your career.

Contact Information

The Career Development and Placement Office is located at 72 Fifth Avenue, 4th floor.

Office hours are 9:00AM–5:30PM Monday through Friday.
Phone: 212.229.5400 x1518
Fax: 212.229.8935
Email: [email protected]

Additional hours for individual counseling (early morning and evening) for working students and alumni is made by appointment only when school is in session.

Career Newsletter

The Milano Career Newsflash is the Career Development and Placement’s Office’s primary means of providing career information to students and alumni. The Newsflash is distributed to student email addresses. To place student organization events in the Newsflash or on the electronic bulletin board, please send an email to [email protected].

The Milano electronic bulletin board carries a current schedule of career workshops, job fairs, and events. To access, click on Students, Alumni, or Employers; scroll to “Upcoming events and programs.” Register here for workshops, practice interviews, on-campus recruitment events, and alumni panels. Selected career workshops are held on Saturdays and Sundays.



Required Courses

“Core” courses: There are two core courses that all students must complete: Global Flows and Theories, Histories, and Practices of Development.  Please see the catalog or website for course descriptions. Global Flows is a prerequisite for Theories, Histories, and Practices of Development.

Economics:  Economics in International Affairs is designed for students who do not enter the program with an economics background. They should register for this course in the first semester. Students who majored in economics or who have taken micro and macro courses may waive the Economics in International Affairs course requirement upon passing a proficiency test, which can be scheduled through the GPIA front desk.

Methods:  Research Methods presents a basic engagement with quantitative and qualitative social science methodology.  Students fulfill the Methods requirement by taking an approved statistics or methods courses through other New School departments.  Students who feel they already possess significant research methods skills either through undergraduate or work experience may email Chris London ([email protected]) and explain their situation, and include any syllabi of relevant courses.

Final Project: Master of Arts students must also complete a final project consisting either of an independent research project (Thesis Option) or a team-based project (Practice Option).  Students decide on one of these options, in consultation with their advisor, after completing 18 credits.

Transferring Credit

All credit transfers require formal approval by the International Affairs Program and are considered after students are matriculated into the program.  Transfer credit must be based on graduate work completed within the ten-year period immediately preceding matriculation, and must have earned grades of B or better.  Transfer credit cannot be used toward core courses, only toward electives.

Master of Arts (MA) students may apply for transfer of up to nine (9) graduate credits to be used toward the elective requirements. For MA students transferring to GPIA from other graduate programs of the New School a maximum of nine credits may be transferred.

Master of Science (MS) students may apply for transfer of a maximum of six (6) graduate credits to be used toward the elective requirements. For MS students transferring to GPIA from other graduate programs of the New School a maximum of six credits may be transferred.

All transfer credit determinations are made on a case-by-case basis by a program advisor only after a student is matriculated in the Graduate Program in International Affairs. Transfer credits may include courses taken prior to entering the GPIA degree program and courses taken at other universities while a matriculated student at GPIA (see Courses taken outside The New School), but may not exceed the maximum noted above.

Students requesting a transfer of credit are obligated to make the case for the courses in question.  Students who wish to apply for transfer credit must first meet with an advisor to discuss the credits and ensure that the required courses fit their program of study.  At that time the student must provide the Advisor and the Program Assistant Director with 1. a written rationale for how the course(s) in question contributes significantly to their International Affairs program of study, and 2. a copy of the syllabus for the course(s) in question. Other information may be requested as needed. Upon approval, students complete a form, Transfer of Credit Petition, which they deposit along with an official transcript at the GPIA Office and this information is transferred to the Records Office.

Waiving a Required Course or Pre-requisite

Students who wish to waive a required or pre-requisite course must speak with their advisor. However, Global Flows and Theories, Histories, and Practices of Development cannot be waived; nor can the final project (either the Thesis or the Practicum in International Affairs).

If the advisor agrees that a student has the appropriate background and that it would make academic sense to waive a course, a student must write a petition for waiver to the advisor with a copy to the Assistant Director. The letter should state clearly:

1.  What course the student would like to waive;

2.  How the student meets that requirement or pre-requisite without taking the course (usually by prior graduate level course work or relevant professional experience);

3.  Why it would be in the student’s educational interest for the course to be waived, including how the student proposes to use the three credit hours made available by the waiver.

The petition should be accompanied by any documents in support of the petition. The advisor will confer with the Assistant Director and appropriate faculty members and report the decision back to the student. The petition and the decision will be placed in the student’s file.


Students concentrate in a sub-specialization within the international affairs field. A concentration is declared after the completion of 18 credit hours by completion of the Declaration of Concentration form during registration with the student’s advisor. Students must take the respective concentration “Foundation” course and at least three electives that count toward the respective concentration. An updated list of concentrations and approved courses is available each semester from the GPIA office.

Concentrations are offered in:

The foundation courses are:

  • Development Economics (DEV)
  • Global Governance (GR)
  • Urban Century (CU)
  • News Media and Culture in International Affairs (MC)
  • Critical Security Studies (CS).

In rare cases, students may individually design a concentration with the approval of their academic advisor.  To do so students must identify the requisite number of courses and write a proposal that explains why these courses should count as a concentration.


Electives are courses offered by the GPIA or other New School graduate programs that focus on specific areas of academic and professional interest.  They may be taken to fulfill a concentration requirement, a specific skill need, or simply to fulfill intellectual curiosity. Electives may be taken outside the Program (see Courses in other Graduate Divisions of The New School and Courses taken outside The New School).  The number of electives a student may take depends on the particular program of study.

Final Project

To graduate, Master of Arts students complete a final project consisting of either an independent research project (thesis option) or a team-based project (practicum option).  After completing 18 credits of course work, students decide on one option in consultation with their advisor.

Thesis Option

The thesis is an independent project based on field work, institutional research, and/or theoretical research involving primary and secondary sources.  Media-based theses are possible, as are custom-designed projects that meet Program approval.  Theses must conform to academic standards.

In the semester before completing the thesis a student registers for Thesis Workshop, which focuses on designing the research project and writing a proposal.  Students are strongly recommended to have a primary thesis advisor (who must be a full time GPIA professor), who, prior to attending Thesis Workshop, has already approved of their thesis topic. Concomitant with the Thesis Workshop, the student puts together a thesis committee consisting of the primary thesis advisor and a secondary reader. The secondary reader can be an academic, researcher or professional in a field related to the student’s work and may be external to the program.  External readers must be approved by the thesis supervisor.

In the semester following the Thesis Workshop, students register for Thesis Supervision under the name of their thesis supervisor. In order to get permission to register for Thesis Supervision, students must deposit a Thesis Registration Form (pdf) with the department secretary prior to the registration period for the semester in which Thesis Supervision will be taken.  This form must be signed by the thesis supervisor. Thesis Supervision carries three credits.  By the beginning of Thesis Supervision, students submit their finished proposal to their committee.  The student then conducts the agreed-upon research independently and writes the thesis, working with the advice and guidance of their supervisor.

Upon completion of the manuscript the student provides copies of the complete draft of the thesis to the supervisor and the second reader.  Readers should have at least two weeks to consider the work prior to the Program due date.  Either reader may ask the student to revise and resubmit part or all of the work.

In order to graduate, two clean, final copies of the approved thesis bearing the signatures of the committee members on the cover page must be deposited with the GPIA Assistant Director, an electronic copy must be sent to [email protected], and the supervisor must submit a passing grade (P) for the Thesis Supervision.  The thesis does not receive a letter grade.

Finished, signed, and approved thesis manuscripts on acid-free paper, conforming to all of the usual expectations of library-deposited thesis documents, are due in the Assistant Director’s office by December 2 for January degree conferral, and May 1 for May degree conferral.  Theses deposited after that date will delay the student’s graduation by one semester.

Thesis guidelines can be accessed at the Thesis Option page.

Practice Option

The Practicum in International Affairs (PIA) is a faculty-supervised, client-driven capstone course that provides students the opportunity to apply what they have learned in the course of their studies in specific consulting assignments with a wide range of client organizations.  Organized into teams of 4-6, students work on discrete assignments of at least one semester’s duration for client organizations from the not-for-profit, public and private sectors, and multilateral agencies such as the United Nations.

PIA seeks to simulate the professional context, including its emphasis on deadlines and professional standards for work products, as well as the imperative to make decisions and recommendations based on imperfect information.  It emphasizes working closely with teammates and being responsive to clients in achieving the desired objectives of their assignments.

After 24 credits, students register for the Practicum in International Affairs I: Project Design course (PIA I), followed by Practicum in International Affairs II: Project Implementation course (PIA II) in their last semester. Students must request approval to register for PIA I, please contact Phil Akre, GPIA Assistant Director, at [email protected].


With the exception of language courses (see Auditing Language Courses), it is generally not possible to audit courses.  Students who wish to audit classes should inquire directly with the respective division or program about their policy.  Students should inform their advisors if they receive permission to audit a class.


GPIA offers a limited number of paid research and program assistantships.  These are based on the needs of individual faculty and the GPIA Program, and they last either for one or two semesters.  Openings for GPIA assistantships are usually announced to students within the department via the GPIA listserv and The New School HR site.

Hours, salary and application details, including deadlines, vary by position.



The main office for The Graduate Program in International Affairs is located at 66 West 12th St., 6th Floor, New York, NY 10011, USA.  Telephone: (212) 206-3524. Program Fax: (212) 924-1292. GPIA office email: [email protected].  The GPIA websites are: and

Office hours are from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. during the Fall and Spring semesters.  Please check for hours during the breaks.



Letter Grade System

The following grades are issued for graduate programs (there is no grade of D), with the following GPA value:

A              4.0

A-            3.7

B+            3.3

B              3.0

B-            2.7

C+            2.3

C              2.0

C-             1.7

F              0

Incomplete Grades

The grade of I (temporary Incomplete) is awarded at the discretion of the instructor upon the request of the student.  Request forms are available in the GPIA office.  Faculty members reserve the right not to award an Incomplete.  Conditions for completing the course work and having a grade assigned are set by the instructor.  The work must be completed by the date decided by the instructor, but no later than the end of two semesters immediately following the semester in which the Incomplete was awarded.  A student with two or more grades of Incomplete is not permitted to register until the work has been completed and the grade assigned.  A grade of I that is not resolved by the assigned date will automatically be converted to a grade of N (permanent incomplete).  The grade of N is not calculated into the grade point average.  No credit is awarded for the grade of N.

Administrative Grades

Besides the grades awarded by the instructors, the following administrative grades are issued by the University Records Office: W, NP, and GM.  The grade of W (withdrawal) shows that a student has withdrawn from a class after the drop period but before the withdrawal date indicated in the semester’s Registration Information and Procedures guide. A grade of W can also be issued by an instructor to a student who has not attended or not completed all required work in a course.  This grade is different in meaning from an F, which shows that a student’s work is insufficient to receive a passing grade. The grade W is not calculated in the grade point average.  The grade of NP shows that the instructor has not submitted grades for the course.  The grade of GM shows that the instructor has submitted grades for the course but not for the individual student.

NOTE: Students taking courses in other New School divisions should be aware of those Divisions’ grading policies, particularly their policies regarding Incompletes.

Change of Grade

Following a petition for a grade review (below), final grades are subject to revision by the instructor for one semester following the semester in which the course was offered.  After the next semester has elapsed, all grades recorded in the University Records Office become a permanent part of the academic record and no changes are allowed.

Grade Review

A student may petition for a grade review by the following procedure:

1.  The student initially requests of the instructor an explanation of a grade.

2.  If the student is not satisfied or has additional questions and wishes to pursue the grade review process, the student submits a letter outlining any questions and/or objections to the faculty member with a copy to the Program Director.

3.  The instructor must submit a written response to the student’s letter with a copy to the Program Director.

4.  The student may respond in writing to the faculty member as well as to the Program Director.

5.  If a resolution has not been reached, the student may request that the Director evaluate the petition; at this stage the Director may choose to consult with both the student and the faculty member involved in the dispute to determine the fairness of the grade.

6.  If either the student or the faculty member is dissatisfied with the Director’s decision, a final appeal may be made to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

Repeated Course Policy

With divisional approval, graduate students who receive a grade of B- or below are eligible to repeat up to 3 courses during a single degree program.  Although the initial grade will appear on the transcript, the grade earned the second time will be computed in the grade point average and the previous grade will drop out of the cumulative GPA.  Students must submit an approved form at the time of registration. Repeated courses may not be counted twice toward fulfillment of graduation requirements, nor may they be counted twice for loan or New York Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) certification.  It is therefore important for students who wish to repeat a course to discuss their plans with a financial aid counselor.  Approval forms are available in the GPIA office.

Enrollment or Degree Verification

Students can print an Official Enrollment Verification Certificate through MyNewSchool for current or past semesters. This certificate can be presented to health insurance agencies, housing authorities, and banks to provide official evidence of enrollment at The New School. Students who have a specific form that needs to be completed should contact the Office of the Registrar. Please note, Enrollment Verifications for Fall and Spring are processed one week before classes begin and then throughout the semester.

1. Go to

2. Login with your username and password.

3. Click on the “Student” tab.

4. Look for the Enrollment Verification channel in the middle of the page.

5. Click on the link “Enrollment Verification”. This will bring you to the National Student Clearinghouse where you can view and print an enrollment verification certificate to submit to your insurance company, employer or other third party.



Degrees are conferred twice a year, in January and May.  Commencement ceremonies are held once a year only, in May. January and May degree recipients both attend commencement ceremonies in May.

Petition for Graduation

First, check with your faculty advisor to confirm that you have completed all requirements for graduation.  This must be done in the first month of the semester in which you plan to graduate.  Your advisor must clear you to graduate.

If your advisor has cleared you to graduate you must then petition. Students can petition online by the following procedure:

1. Go to

2. Login with your username and password.

3. Click on the Student tab.

4. Within the Graduation box, click on “Spring 2012 Graduation Petitioners.”

5. Follow the instructions on each page to submit your graduation petition.
Once you’ve submitted your petition online, you can view it by clicking on the link “View Graduation Applications.”

Petitions must be completed and returned to the Registrar’s Office by October 1 for January graduation and February 15 for May graduation.  After the deadline, the online graduation petition will no longer be available. Students who submit graduation petitions after this date must complete the paper form and will be required to pay a $20 late fee.

You can find this and more information on the New School Commencement Website.  There is no filing fee to petition to graduate.  NOTE:  Late fees will be assessed if the petition is filed after the deadline.

If a student fails to petition properly or to complete all requirements by the graduation deadline, the student will not graduate that semester.  If necessary, petitions on file can be re-activated for a subsequent degree conferral period.  Consult the Office of the Registrar for information on petition re-activation.


After graduation all GPIA degree holders are invited and encouraged to join the New School Alumni Association. Members receive a newsletter and are invited to alumni events. Membership is free and information is available on The New School website.



The information below is only a broad overview of types of financial assistance.  All inquiries and applications for financial aid, scholarships (including GPIA scholarships), and work-study must be made through the University Office of Student Financial Services (Financial Aid Office) at 79 Fifth Avenue, (212) 229-8930,

Please Note: GPIA staff and faculty cannot provide financial aid information. All inquiries must go through the Financial Aid Office.


Financial assistance is available to qualified M.A. and M.S. students in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.0.  To be eligible, students are required to register for a minimum of 6 graduate credits per academic semester (Fall and Spring). Students on academic probation are generally not eligible for financial assistance.  International students are eligible for institutional financial aid.

All aid, scholarships, and assistantships are contingent upon availability and a student’s eligibility with regard to the specific terms of the aid.  The same scholarship or assistantship is not guaranteed for the next year (in the case of a scholarship) or semester (in the case of an assistantship), and future scholarships or assistantships are based in part on the previous year’s evaluation and departmental resources.

Types of Financial Aid & Scholarships

Federal Financial Aid, University, and GPIA Scholarships

Federal financial aid and other scholarships are available to qualified students through the University Financial Aid Office.  The GPIA offers a limited number of competitive scholarships.  All inquiries must go through the University Financial Aid Office (FAO). GPIA staff and faculty cannot provide financial aid information.

Federal Work-Study

Federal work-study is available to qualified students. Please see the University Financial Aid Office for details.

Summer Financial Aid & IFP Scholarships

Summer registration is optional for students receiving financial aid during the academic year.  Limited summer scholarship money may be available; please see the University Financial Aid Office to complete the Summer Financial Aid Application form. For students participating in the summer International Field Programs (IFP) there is limited financial aid available in the form of tuition remission.  Please refer to the current IFP application guidelines for further details.  Students wishing to use their regular financial aid allotment for the summer should contact the Financial Aid office prior to the academic year to ensure the correct allocation.



New School Email Accounts

All degree students are automatically issued New School email accounts.  The GPIA staff regularly sends information to students via New School email only, so it is essential to use this account.  Forwarded New School email is often considered spam by other major email account providers.  You may access New School email accounts from any web browser by going to:

GPIA Listservs

The GPIA listservs are the main forum for communication of information about events and issues, important program announcements, and announcements of jobs and internships.  All students are very strongly encouraged to join at least the GPIA listserv.

GPIA- is the main GPIA communications list and is reserved for communications of educational and professional matters. This includes notifications from the administration about registration, courses, GPIA sponsored events, and other program related announcements. This also includes internship and job announcements as well as events in New York that subscribers to the list feel would be relevant to GPIA. Every current student and faculty member should be subscribed to this list.

Squibslist – is where subscribers can post announcements about apartments, and books for sale or to trade.  It is like a classified section minus jobs.

Community – is the listserv for everything else; for instance, discussions about current events or debates about what is going on with The New School, the program and in the world. This is also the place where you should send news articles that you would like to share with everyone.

Please send messages only to the related listserv.


To subscribe

  • Send e-mail, from the address that you want subscribed, to: [email protected]
  • Subject: (LEAVE THIS BLANK)
  • Type in the body of the message either: “subscribe gpia”, “subscribe squibslist” OR “subscribe community”
    • That is all it should say in the body and you have to send a separate email for each listserv to which you want to subscribe.

To unsubscribe

  • Send e-mail, from the address that you want unsubscribed, to: [email protected]
  • Subject: (LEAVE THIS BLANK)
  • Type in the body of the message either: “unsubscribe gpia”, “unsubscribe squibslist” OR “unsubscribe community”
    • That is all it should say in the body and you have to send a separate email for each listserv you would like to subscribe to.

When you are ready to send a message:

1.        Consider which list it belongs to

2.        Send it to either [email protected], [email protected], or [email protected]

NOTE: You can subscribe to the listservs from any email address you choose, and you will receive email from the listserv only at that address.  A message sent to this address will go to all listserv members.  The GPIA Listserv is not moderated and is a community resource; no commercial or vulgar messages are permitted.  Common courtesy and tolerance are expected of all members.

GPIA Program Websites

The GPIA Websites are: and

All program information, including courses, faculty and student biographies, announcements, news, and events, are available on the websites.



The New School News

The New School News is the University-wide source for news. Students are strongly encouraged to read it, as it contains important announcements concerning events and student services, such as career, international student, and financial aid information.  The New School Newscan be found on the web at:

University Events

The New School offers a large number of public programming throughout the year. Please visit the University Events page to see the listings.

GPIA Events

The GPIA sponsors a wide variety of events ranging from brownbag talks to workshops, lectures, conferences and social events, such as graduation parties.  Events are announced on the GPIA listserv.  University-wide events are listed on the University Calendar.



Registration Basics

The academic year consists of two semesters, fall and spring, and a summer session.  All students must properly register for courses each term in order for them to count towards the degree.  The current academic calendar can be found at

Current information on registration can be found at the Registrar’s Office website.

Continuing Student Registration

Continuing students receive advisement and register online each mid-semester for the following semester.  Exact dates vary and will be announced.  Check the current academic calendar.  Students must register during the designated registration period.

New Student Registration

New student registration is held the week prior to the start of the semester.  Exact dates vary.  Please check the current academic calendar.

Registering for the Fall or Spring Semester

1.  Continuing students must meet with an advisor during the set registration period.  Information on advising hours and sign up is distributed by the GPIA office in advance of registration. Courses and descriptions are available on Milano Central.

2.  Students meet with the advisor during the registration period.  Advisors provide students with PIN numbers to be used for online registration.  PIN numbers change each registration period.

3.  Students log onto ALVIN to check for registration holds and visit the appropriate university offices if they need to clear your account.  Students who have outstanding registration holds will not be allowed to register. (See Registration Holds, below)

4.  If there are no registration holds, students follow the instructions in ALVIN for online registration, and proceed to register. NOTE: See the Registration Information and Procedures guide for current information.

Registering for the Summer Session

Summer registration occurs during registration for the fall semester and follows the same procedure. You may take up to 6 credits during the summer session.

Late Registration & Course Drops – Very Important!

If a student misses the designated registration period, it may be possible to register late during the add/drop period (see below).  However, there is a financial penalty for late registration, students may not receive advisement, and courses may be closed.

In addition, if a course is dropped once the semester has begun (even if the class doesn’t meet until later that week or even the following week), and if it is not replaced with another course of equivalent credit value, A LATE DROP FEE WILL BE CHARGED: 10% of the course tuition in week one, 20% in week two, 30% in week three, 40% in week four, and 100% thereafter.

Please see The New School’s Add, Drops, and Withdrawals guide for current information.

Registration Holds

A registration hold prevents students from registering for a number of reasons.  Holds may be related to failure to be to be properly immunized or to academic performance or financial issues.  Be sure to check your ALVIN account for registration holds and visit the appropriate University offices to clear your record of any outstanding holds. Students who have outstanding holds will not be allowed to register.

Add/Drop Procedures

Students may add courses to their schedule during the first two weeks of the semester. Students may drop classes through the third week of the term. Please refer to the current add/drop schedule published by the Registration Office.  (Late drop fees may apply – see Late Registration and Course Drops)

All schedule changes require approval of an academic advisor.  To add or drop a class students must fill out an add/drop form available from the GPIA office. This form must be signed by an advisor and the signed form must be taken to the Registration Office on the lower level of 72 Fifth Ave.

Course Withdrawals

New School graduate students may withdraw from a course with a grade of W after the add/drop period. A grade of W is not calculated in a student’s GPA.  Students fill out add/drop forms and obtain an advisor’s approval and signature.  There is no refund for withdrawing from a course after the add/drop period has ended.

Auditing Language Courses

Current GPIA students may audit language courses offered by The New School, without charge.  These courses do not carry academic credit and are not graded, but do appear on student transcripts as audits.  You may register for language courses after you have registered for GPIA courses.

You can find the upcoming language courses listed here. If you need to determine the correct language level, report to the Foreign Language Dept. of The New School for General Studies, 64 West 11th St./1st floor, phone (212) 229-5676.

To register for a language course, please contact Vanessa Reich, the Assistant Director of Academic Student Services, Office of Academic Services, The New School for Public Engagement, 66 W 12th/Rm. 401, phone (212) 229-5615 x1102, email [email protected]

(Note: if you register for a language course during the summer session and you are not also registered for a GPIA course, you will need to pay the student fees associated with registration.)

Dropping a language course: fill out a DROP form available in the GPIA office, have an advisor sign it, and take it to the Registrar’s Office.

Courses in other Graduate Divisions of The New School

Students may take as electives any relevant graduate class for credit within the New School’s other programs or divisions with approval of their academic advisor. Credits for classes taken in other schools within the New School are not considered transfer credits, and students who take them pay GPIA tuition rates.  Students should examine the course offerings within the Milano School of International Affairs, Management and Urban Policy; The New School for Social Research; the School of Media Studies, or other graduate programs within The New School each semester for relevant courses.

Students who wish to take classes within The New School should always check with the course instructor or respective program office to make sure the course is available and open and to check whether there are any prerequisites.  Registration then follows the standard procedures.  Students taking courses in another school of the university should be aware of that school’s grading policy, particularly the policy on Incompletes.

Courses taken outside The New School

Master of Arts (MA) students may apply for transfer of up to nine (9) graduate credits to be used toward the elective requirements from other universities while matriculated in the GPIA degree program.

Master of Science (MS) students may apply for transfer of up to six (6) graduate credits to be used toward the elective requirements from other universities while matriculated in the GPIA degree program.

Students must first get approval from their advisor for any course taken outside The New School that they wish to count towards their degree.  Students then register on a non-matriculated basis at the respective university and apply to transfer the course credit (See Transferring Credit) Students are responsible for becoming acquainted with the procedures, rules and regulations of the respective university.  Students bear the tuition costs of the credits and payment is made directly to the respective institution.


Students in good standing who have completed their first semester may register for up to three credits through an approved internship. To qualify for credit, a student must work a minimum of 150 hours (10 hours/week during the regular semester or 20 hours/week during the summer session).  Students may undertake non-credit internships at any time.

Students who wish to register for a credit-bearing internship should take the following steps:

1.  Identify the organization, secure the internship, and obtain written confirmation of the internship from the organization in the form of a letter.

2.  Choose a faculty supervisor and write a proposal that includes a) The name and contact information for the organization, b) The name and contact information for the on-site internship supervisor, c) The period of internship, including number of hours, d) The proposed tasks the intern will undertake, e) The nature of a written report that the student will submit to the faculty supervisor at the completion of the internship.

3.  Submit the proposal to the faculty supervisor for approval.  Include with this proposal the form, Contract for Internship (pdf), also available in the GPIA office.  Applications must be submitted with enough time for full evaluation prior to registration.

4.  Upon approval, students register following the standard procedure using an Internship course number (CRN).  Students must consult with the Assistant Director in order to receive permission to register.

During the internship, the student keeps the faculty supervisor regularly informed of the student’s progress. Upon successful completion of the internship, faculty advisors assign grades of P (pass) or F (fail), based jointly on the student’s final report and the internship supervisor’s written evaluation of the student’s performance.

Most internships are unpaid.  If an internship is paid, please note that international students usually face restrictions on the type of work they can accept. International students should, therefore, consult with the Office of International Student Services before accepting a paid internship.

Thesis Supervision

Students who are writing a thesis must register for Thesis Supervision, NINT 5951, a three-credit course, under the name of their thesis supervisor.  In the same semester, they also register to maintain status if all other course work has been completed.  (See

International Field Program

Each year GPIA offers a number of programs abroad where students do an internship and explore a problem or issue through a research paper. The programs are announced early in Fall semester, and students are notified of admission in November. During Spring semester participants are required to take a) any connected academic courses; b) language classes in order to possess reasonable fluency in the respective language of the internship site; and c) Spring preparation seminar and workshops.

Students confirm participation in February with a non-refundable deposit of $1,000.  Students participating in the IFP register for 6 summer credits. Airfare, local travel, tuition, and living expenses are covered by students themselves. The cost of airfare, travel and living expenses vary according to location. In most programs the cost of accommodations is included in the program fee; in other cases students find their own housing.  Students may be able to use their financial aid to cover tuition costs. Be sure to check early with the Financial Aid office about this option.

Independent Study

After their first semester, students in good academic standing may register for one course of Independent Study.  Students start with a problem or specific area of interest to investigate in detail, and then design a project with the approval of an interested faculty member who serves as the course advisor.  Permission of the course advisor is required before a student can register for Independent Study.

Students planning to register for Independent Study must submit an application in the form of a proposal that contains:

1)  The specific subject or problem that they would like to investigate.

2)  The proposed method for investigating the topic.

3)  A preliminary bibliography.

These materials must be submitted to and approved by the course advisor prior to registration.  Include with this proposal the form, Contract for Independent Study (pdf), also available in the GPIA office.  Applications must be submitted with enough time for full evaluation no later than two weeks prior to the start of the term registration period.

Upon approval, the student registers following the standard procedure using an Independent Study course number (CRN) provided by the GPIA Program.  Upon successful completion of the Independent Study project, the faculty supervisor assigns a letter grade.

Maintaining Status

This is a registration category for students who have completed all course credits except for the Master’s Project or other activities that are an integral part of their degree program.

Because they do not need to register for any courses, this is the only means to remain in good academic standing.  Students who maintain status are considered active students.  They retain access to academic advising, library resources, University email, and they are eligible for health insurance.  Maintaining Status is a low fee registration category and it is not credit-bearing.

Master’s students are normally allowed to maintain status for no more than four consecutive semesters, after which time they are withdrawn from the program in good standing (see Administrative Withdrawal). A semester of maintaining status is considered an active semester and deducts time from the five year limitation for earning the master’s degree.  Students who maintain status for more than four consecutive semesters and wish to return must re-apply for admission.

NOTE: Students who do not wish to register for either maintaining status or for classes must use the Student Exit Form to apply for a leave of absence or to withdraw from the program (see Student Exit Procedures).   International students should check with International Student Services before registering for Maintaining Status.

Equivalency Credit

In some cases, students may need to maintain the minimum number of credits necessary for full- or part-time status while enrolled in Maintaining Status.  These students should register for Equivalency credit that permits the choice of three to nine credits.  Equivalency credits allow a student to achieve full-time status (defined as enrollment for nine credits per semester) or half-time status (enrollment for six credits per semester). There is no tuition charge associated with Equivalency credit and no grade is given. Equivalency credit must be verified by an appropriate advisor or faculty member as approval is not automatic.



Student exits may be initiated by students (leave of absence or withdrawal from the program) or by the program (administrative withdrawal).  The Student Exit Form (pdf) is used for all types of student exits.

Leave of Absence

Students in good academic standing who wish to interrupt their studies for pressing reasons may petition for a leave of absence by consulting with their GPIA advisor and then filling out a Leave of Absence form available from the Assistant Director of Academic Student Services in the Dean’s Office of The New School for Public Engagement, room 401 of 66 W. 12th Street.

All students who wish to take leaves of absence are responsible for obtaining the signature of a financial aid advisor on their Student Exit Forms.  In addition, international students must obtain the signature of an international student advisor, and students who live in University housing must obtain a signature from the Housing Office.  Upon obtaining the required signature(s), students return the form to the Assistant Director of Academic Student Services.

Students on leave of absence do not register or maintain status and the leaves do not apply to degree time limits.  A maximum of four semesters of leave may be granted during a student’s entire program of study.  Leave will not be granted retroactively under any circumstances.  Students who do not return to their studies at the expiration of a leave of absence will be withdrawn in good standing (see Administrative Withdrawal, below).

Withdrawal from Program

Students who wish to leave the program without obtaining a degree must indicate their intention to withdraw from the program on the Student Exit Form and follow the procedure outlined above.

Administrative Withdrawal

Academic Dismissal

Students who earn a GPA lower than 3.0 for two consecutive semesters will be subject to academic dismissal and may be administratively withdrawn. Administrative withdrawals are processed by the program and do not require the presence of the student.  Written notification of administrative withdrawals is sent to the address of record, and copies are placed in students’ files.

Failure to Return from Leave of Absence

Upon the expiration of a leave of absence, students must notify the program of their intent to return to the program, to request an extension of their leave, or to withdraw from the program.  Students who do not return to their studies and who do not request permission for an extension of their leave will be administratively withdrawn.



The University services selected below are of particular interest to GPIA students.  There are many more services available.  Please see the University Student Handbook 2013-2014 (pdf) and the Student Services website for more information and additional services.

Writing Center

Students are encouraged to use The New School Graduate Programs Writing Center.  Writing Center staffers work one-on-one with students to address any aspect of the writing process, from first ideas to fine-tuning. The student sets the agenda.  Some students come in regularly and establish a relationship with a particular staffer; others visit as the need arises. To make an appointment, go to the Writing Center webpage. The Writing Center is located at 71 Fifth Avenue, 9th floor , and their phone is 212.229.5121.

Student Health Services Center

Student Health Services
80 Fifth Avenue, 3rd floor
New York, NY 10011
[email protected]

Call for an appointment. Medical and counseling services are available on weekdays Monday–Thursday, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., and Friday, 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., throughout the academic year, except for university holidays. Counseling services has evening and weekend hours during the fall and spring semesters. Summer hours are posted at 80 Fifth Avenue. After hours and on weekends, calls will be answered by the university’s Nurse Advice Line.

Medical Services
Telephone: 212.229.1671, option 2
Fax: 212.598.0059

Counseling Services 
Telephone: 212.229.1671, option 1
Fax: 212.614.7484

Student Health Insurance 
Telephone: 212.229.1671, option 3
Fax: 212.614.7484

Wellness and Health Promotion 
Telephone; 212.229.1671, option 4
Fax: 212.614.7484

Disability Services

Through designated administrators in each of its divisions, The New School will consider reasonable special accommodations for students who have presented adequate medical documentation of disability and limitation.  More information about services for students with disabilities is available at Student Disabilities Services at 80 Fifth Ave, 3rd Floor, or by contacting Jason Luchs, Director for Student Disability Services, at (212) 229.5626 x 3135 or [email protected].